Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A skill set called leadership!



This year I attended CPUT’s WTF (WHAT THE FUK) Media Conference where I was influenced and guided by leaders from various backgrounds and settings. It made me realise that we all acquire leadership skill it’s just a matter of tapping into our leadership abilities. I have watched and seen people evolve into big business men, and women and that they are high achievers in life.

It also made me realise that if you want to be success in life, you must be unique, different and bring something fresh to the plate. A speaker that blew me completely away was Jason Xenopolous, who is the founder of a new Digital Marketing Agency – Native. What I enjoyed most about his presentation was that he never spoke about his company and how he became successful. His presentation revolved mostly around story telling. Instead of delving into what his company had to offer or try and market his company, his main focus revolved around one of the greatest story tellers in the world and how they crept into their targets minds and emotions and what a great success they made out of these campaigns.

If I look at Jason, one would never say he is a leader of a company, but as soon as you begin speaking to him, you immediately note that he is very advanced and knowledgeable person with a bigger vision; a vision big enough to lead and inspire many individuals.

As a student, about to go into industry, Jason awoke a nerve in my brain, in that I know now what I would like to grow and excel in: conceptualise ideas for a digital, advertising agency, thereby devising and executing mind blowing campaigns through animation and special effects. I’ve always been able to think out of the box when it came to being creative, but what my expertise lacked was putting in all on paper. In a brief conversation with Jason, he explained that I would not need to waste money on doing graphic course as advertising agencies foresee that there are graphic designers to assist in bringing you idea and turning it into a reality of what you envision for a certain campaign.

In essence, I draw closure by encouraging everyone to be leaders and take that leap in discovering ones passion, and start leading yourself to where it is you’d want your life to be at in the next 5 years.

I’ve been inspired, hope you were too...

Until next time... chow bela! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment