Sunday, November 7, 2010

First Walk up Lions Head!


About two months ago, four of my friends and I from my University decided to trek up Lions Head. The significance of my story is quite remarkable as everything that could’ve gone wrong went wrong on this day.

It was a perfect day in Cape Town, and I was the initiator of this hike, meaning I was suppose be there before everyone else arrives... this however was not the case.

The night before my hike, my boyfriend had broken up with me, so the next day I was quite fuzzed and not in the mood for anything, but I made a commitment and I was not going to disappoint. Most of the crew of friends that were suppose to join us also bailed out on the last minute which was not cool, but nonetheless the ones who really wanted to go pitched.

The same morning I had to fetch money for work I did, so a group of friends and I drove through all the way to Stellenbosch only, only to realise that the person who was suppose to pay us, didn’t rock up. Therefore everyone was upset, including myself and my Ex Boyfriend who took us through. Then on the way back an argument breaks out and it turned out so badly, that my hopes for hiking had plummeted. Then my one friend called and this made me realise that I have a commitment and that I should follow through.

This day felt never ending, and it was almost as if fate or the forces were dangling and throwing me around, just to see how tough I was emotionally and physically for this day.

I didn’t give up, even though my train was running 1 hour late, I didn’t get paid, had no food, didn’t have Boyfriend no more, and was just having one of those days where everything just wasn’t going my way.

Finally, when I reached Cape Town, it felt as if a heavy weight had been lifted off my shoulders.



There was still a mountain awaiting me, but when I started climbing I was more determined and motivated than ever. And the best part of it all was that my true friends waited for me and didn’t leave me in the lurch, which add on to making this day even more awesome.

When we reached the top of Lions Head I felt so empowered that I was ready to take on the world and not look back. It’s that priceless feeling of achieving something you really wanted that bad. This opened my eyes and made me see that if you really want something so bad, you can and will achieve it if you keep on moving forward and not look backwards.

Hope I could inspire someone today.

Until next Time... Chow Bella!

No comments:

Post a Comment