Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Is being in a relationship people healthier than Single people?



This is a question that is often discussed between people of different genders whether it is healthier to be single or married.
I think that it's different for each and every individual because we all have different experiences be single or being married. Yes there might be things that are common in people being married and people who are single, but to try is estimate whether it is being married is better than single changes all the time depending on our cultures, race and denomination.

In my experience I really enjoyed my single-hood life because I was able to do what I want, when I want and not having to consider anyone Else's feelings other than my own. But the reality is is that I always felt a sense of loneliness and longed for a partner where I could share experiences and my deeper inner thoughts. It frustrated me that when I would go out, my Friends would always be kooked up at home with their boyfriends and I would think to myself ... 'how boring and uninteresting'.

Today, I have been dating a guy for 3years and 2 months... I know like 'wtf'? Don't worry I constantly ask myself how did I manage 3 years, like what changed from then to now? Its simple, I grew as a person and was ready to take that leap into being in a relationship. I won't lie but being with someone, you learn a lot about yourself and what faults you as a person have and that everyone's not perfect. I've cried a lot and laughed a lot, we had our up and downs and its quite a challenge and if you're not tough enough to accept that we all have out differences and we should try to make peace and not try and change them into people you want them to be, but into people they want to be one day.

Being in a relationship is a type of a trial and error phase where you try out different things, but also try to stay true to yourself. you'll never realise that if you are not a strong person from within, how you as an individual can get sucked into a system of control, and you don't realise it immediately but in time you will see and feel the ripple effects of that system, people trying to control you. Its like men that seek control over females because they've always had control until recently us as females are speaking out. But this is another topic on its own.

Bottom line, my advice to single people is don't be rushed into anything until you're sure, because once you commit to someone, automatically you create a tie with that individual and when you break up, it's hard to break that tie with a person and most of us end up going back to the person because you have not realised or discovered your inner strength and ability to walk away and break that tie.

And if you are in a relationship, try and maintain a balance for yourself, allowing yourself to have me time. time to mingle with your friends and family.

In essence, I think BALANCE is key to being who you need to be.

Until next time... xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Relationships are hard to maintain. The thought of not getting married scares me at times as I don't want to spend the rest of my life alone trying to find ‘Mr. Right’ who may not even come along. Society has put a lot of pressure on people to get married and has a whole lot of woman thinking about getting married one day almost the whole time.

    ReplyDelete